INVESTED IN OUR PLANET AND OUR COMMUNITY – THE GCT GLOBAL COMMITMENT
VANCOUVER, BC, CANADA – The GCT Global Commitment reflects our commitment to the environment and the community and the development of best practices in ESG (Environmental, Social, and Governance). Last year we activated our first formal ESG Strategy, with ten key priorities that underpin our focus on economic, environmental, and social well-being and prosperity.
This year on Earth Day, we reaffirm our commitment to reducing emissions across our terminals by investing in technology and new processes, densifying existing footprints, improving energy efficiency, and planning projects that are environmentally conscious. GCT has invested over $500M in recent projects that modernize facilities, increase capacity, enhance safety and reduce emissions and environmental impacts.
- North America’s most efficient ship-to-rail facility at GCT Deltaport increases capacity by 50% within the same footprint
- Modernization of GCT Vanterm is reducing terminal equipment emissions by 50+%
- Expansion of the GCT Bayonne Express Rail facility reduces truck traffic in NY and NJ
Other projects over the past year that are making an impact:
- Installed EV chargers for employees and workforce at GCT Deltaport and GCT Vanterm with complimentary charging to encourage utilization. More chargers are being installed in 2022. These chargers have removed over 55,000 kg of GHG emissions in the first three months.
- Ongoing conversion to LED lighting replacements on equipment and full terminal lighting retrofit projects at GCT New York and GCT Deltaport are reducing emissions, glare, and the number of lights across facilities. GCT Deltaport’s conversion to LED high mast lighting has annual energy savings equivalent to cutting 8000L of diesel fuel.
- Achieved Climate Smart Certification at our GCT USA terminals. All regions are now Climate Smart certified and achieving reductions across all measured scopes. Absolute emission reductions across GCT are equivalent to over 2100 fewer passenger vehicles driven for a year!
- Maintained Green Marine certification at all terminals – earning high marks across all five performance indicators. GCT has been Green Marine Certified since 2014. This rigorous industry certification program sets high benchmarks above and beyond regulation for air, land, and water protection.
- Invested in technology and process improvements, such as a recently completed prime route optimization program at GCT Deltaport that reduces KM traveled by on-terminal equipment and cuts tire consumption.
- Upgrades to more efficient container handling equipment across the fleet, including:
- New eco-efficient sprinter carriers and modern RTGs at GCT Bayonne
- Commissioned two advanced, electric ship-to-shore cranes featuring regenerative drives, an essential part of modernizing GCT Vanterm
- Advanced an environmentally-conscious solution to container capacity expansion at Roberts Bank through the ongoing BCEAO and IAAC Environmental Review Process. The GCT Deltaport Expansion – Berth Four Project is a sustainable, incremental, and privately-funded expansion of GCT’s existing terminal footprint to add a fourth berth, delivering required capacity while minimizing impact on our neighbours and the environment, Indigenous fishing grounds, and our workforce. The DP4 Project will add up to 2M TEUs of new capacity, in line with the demand. Learn more by watching this video.
About GCT Global Container Terminals Inc.
Headquartered in Vancouver, BC, GCT Global Container Terminals Inc. operates four Green Marine certified terminals in two principal North American ports. GCT USA on the East Coast operates two award-winning facilities: GCT New York in Staten Island, NY, and GCT Bayonne in Bayonne, NJ. GCT Canada operates two gateway terminals on the West Coast: GCT Vanterm and GCT Deltaport in Vancouver and Delta, BC.
For more information:
GCT Global Container Terminals Inc.
T +1 604 267 5102