GLOBAL CONTAINER TERMINALS CELEBRATES EARTH DAY BY BUILDING BACK BETTER
VANCOUVER, BC, CANADA – As we consider the theme of Restore Our Earth™ this Earth Day, Global Container Terminals is proud to share some of the innovative projects that are reducing our environmental footprint. GCT’s Global Commitment program reflects not only our commitment to the environment, safety and the community but also to the ongoing development of best practices in ESG (Environmental, Social and Governance).
GCT has been increasingly recognized for its efforts to support dialogue and action on sustainability and community impacts and to decouple growth from emissions by investing in technology and new processes, densifying existing footprints, and improving energy efficiency. Here are some results from the past year:
- Completed the fully electrified GCT Deltaport Intermodal yard. As the most technologically advanced ship-to-rail facility in the world, it is increasing rail capacity by 50% within the same footprint and reducing noise and emissions
- Accepted delivery of two advanced, electric ship-to-shore cranes featuring regenerative drives, an essential part of modernizing GCT Vanterm and reducing terminal equipment emissions by 50+%
- Supported dialogue and actions on Indigenous Economic Reconciliation in Canada and Indigenous-led assessments on cumulative effects in the Salish Sea. GCT is proud to sponsor the upcoming Indigenous Partnership Success Showcase, a response to the growing demand for practical guidance in how Indigenous communities and their enterprise partners can work together, in common purpose, for shared success. Register today! https://ipss2021.com/
- Maintained Green Marine certification at all terminals – earning high marks across all five performance indicators. GCT has been Green Marine Certified since 2014. This rigorous industry certification program sets high benchmarks above and beyond regulation for air, land, and water emissions
- Reduced absolute emissions by 14% at GCT Canada since 2014 and is a Climate Smart Certified business since 2018
- Advanced an environmentally-conscious solution to container capacity expansion at Roberts Bank through GCT Deltaport Expansion Berth Four Project (DP4). Now in the regulatory review process, DP4 is an opportunity to build back better with a smart expansion that provides appropriate capacity with 1/3 the footprint of the alternative expansion proposal at Roberts Bank.
“GCT is committed to reducing the environmental and community impacts of our terminals, and we won’t go back to business-as-usual when it comes to sustainability post-COVID. GCT’s exceptional record of delivering projects that are economically, environmentally, and socially sustainable will continue, and I am proud to do our part to build back better by enabling smart capacity and investing in the technology and processes that reduce our emissions,” said Doron Grosman, President and CEO of Global Container Terminals.
Earth Day is an important reminder of our shared responsibilities to improve environmental performance throughout the supply chain. Sustainability is a team effort, and while proud of our achievements, we are excited to continue the journey and find more ways to embed sustainability throughout the supply chain. We also remain committed to collaborating with our industry partners and government on initiatives in support of furthering sustainability and environmental responsibility in all our operations.
About GCT Global Container Terminals Inc.
Headquartered in Vancouver, BC, GCT Global Container Terminals Inc. operates four Green Marine certified terminals in two principal North American ports. For over a century, GCT has sustainably grown with innovative technology and our industry-leading Global Commitment to the environment and community.
Through GCT USA on the East Coast, the company operates two award-winning facilities: GCT New York on Staten Island, NY, and GCT Bayonne in Bayonne, NJ. On the West Coast, GCT Canada operates two gateway terminals: GCT Vanterm and GCT Deltaport in Vancouver and Delta, BC.
For more information:
GCT Global Container Terminals Inc.
T +1 604 267 5102