Position: Yard Manager
Department: Yard Operations
Reports To: Yard/Terminal Ops Manager
Date Written/Revised: October 19, 2017
FLSA Designation: (Exempt)
Position Summary: Responsible for managing safe and efficient yard operations.
As innovators in the industry and the developer of the first semi-automatic terminal in the NY/NJ harbor, our goal is to push the boundaries of what is possible in marine transportation and encourage others to do the same. We believe productivity is about more than just speed. It’s about strategically looking ahead and putting the right people, processes, and technology in place to meet the demands of a changing world. Our biggest investment, and most valuable resource, is our staff and workforce.
Principal Duties & Responsibilities:
- Supervises activities prior to start up and during yard operations. Checks work areas for safe operation of longshoremen and checkers, and that all labor has been assembled for adequate and efficient operations.
- Maintains good working relationships with labor and union officials and assures that labor policies and contracts are adhered to.
- Ensures that each yard operator and checker knows what to do when to do and when to do it, so that productivity levels are high.
- Responsible for balancing yard machinery and that the yard closes at earliest time possible.
- Coordinates yard activities ILA foreman on the assigned shift.
- Ensure labor follows safe working practices;
- Ensure labor follows proper standard operating procedures;
- Holds regular meetings with labor, giving them current company information, emphasizing good safety practices for the terminal.
- Counsels labor, up to and including discipline and termination recommendations.
- Follows company management policies and procedures, collective bargaining agreement, and local practices in the application of supervising subordinates.
- Identifies and solves problems and issues on a daily basis, usually of a routine or moderately complex nature.
- Reports problems and issues to the appropriate Manager, as needed, especially issues of complexity or great impact on the operation.
- Acts as a focal point for any trucker issues that may arise during yard operation.
- Accurate and timely completion of all necessary and required documentation associated with the operations
- Other duties as assigned.
Supervision of ILA labor in conjunction with ILA foreman during yard Operations.
- Four (4) year college or Maritime schooling preferred.
- Experience as a marine superintendent a plus.
- Must be able to work in rotating shifts, days, evenings and nights.
- Must be able to work in extreme outdoor temperatures of hot and cold, dusty conditions and occasionally, conditions of high levels of noise.
- Required to observe all safety and health requirements for container terminal environment.
Experience: Marine terminal experience a plus. Recent grads with the right tools given strong consideration.
Physical Working Condition:
- The ability to climb up and down ladders.
- The ability to work in changing hot and cold climates based on weather conditions.
- The ability to work in an environment that may be hazardous to persons unable to see and hear fast moving equipment.
- Individual may be required to work overtime, weekend hours and regular shift rotations.
Tools: Microsoft office, NAVIS, general office equipment. Must possess a valid driver’s License, Pier Superintendent’s license from the Waterfront Commission and TWIC card.
This job description is intended to be an accurate representation of the general functions of the job, rather than exhaustive list of duties, responsibilities or experiences. Other duties may be assigned, requested or required. Aspects of the job may be altered without notice.
GCT provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, GCT complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, and transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
GCT expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of GCT’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
Please reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org to apply or if you have any questions.